Saturday, April 26, 2008

Run #15

Eight miles today. EIGHT!!!!!

I really like the ipod pedometer thing that Jenny gave me. THANKS JEN! But I think I calibrated it wrong or something so I'll have to fix that. I did it in 79 minutes exactly; just under a 10 minute mile. I feel so amazing, like if I can run eight miles I can do ANYTHING!!

The book said to start telling people that I am a marathoner. Today I feel like it. I can't believe that I have only been training for four weeks and I can already run 8 miles. That just goes to show how our potential is so much greater than we realize. Seriously. We are more amazing than we give ourselves credit for.

If anyone reading this is thinking that I am something special, you're wrong. I am TOTALLY convinced that anyone can run a marathon. I would 100% recommend the book I am reading though, The Nonrunner's Marathon trainer. I can honestly say that there is no way I would have even attempted eight miles by this point if that wasn't what was on the schedule for today. A training schedule is a MUST.

17 miles this week, and I missed a run. Go get 'em, tiger!

10 comments:

Salty Incisor said...

All my friends have done it but I am a wuss, even though I ran x-country in h.s. I just have it in my head that I am too feeble!!

Salty Incisor said...

BTW Great job!!! Glad you are self actualizing! Good Luck with the Marathon. R U doing S. G. marathon? Cuz o-town's is too soon, right??

Jenny said...

Holy Moley! I am so impressed. You're more than halfway there to your half marathon with 8 miles. How do you feel afterwards?

lydia said...

Tash- I am doing the half marathon at Ogden in three weeks, then I'm participating in the Wasatch Back in June, and I will either do Saint George or Top of Utah (in Logan) in the late summer.

Jenny- I was very sore all weekend, but I am feeling good today (monday). I was especially sore in my groin? I don't know for sure if that's what I should call it, but the muscles/tendons that connect the hips to the quads. Is that a form thing, does anyone know?

Emily and Clay said...

Great job Lyd. I just might have to read that book to get me motivated to get running.

P.S. I still think you are someone amazingly special :).

Natalie said...

I am overflowing with pride for you! For the sake of making myself feel better, I should mention that I did 200 jumping jacks the other day.

Seriously - I'm all of a sudden thinking maybe I could run someday too. YOU are my inspiration. Thanks girly.

Natalie said...

How are your shoes? Are you wearing an old favorite pair or did you buy new ones? If so, how did you choose?

lydia said...

Thanks everyone!

Em- Yes, definitely buy the book.

Nat- One of the girls who writes her testimonials in the book reminded me of you. She has scoliosis so bad that she had to wear a back brace from the time she was two to seventeen years old. Her doctor told her that staying fit would be the best treatment for her back.

Anyway, she did it. She ran a marathon.

Also, I think shoes are very important. i bought a new pair. I went to Striders in Layton (on Antelope, just east of Hillfield) and they do all sorts of foot scans so that you get the best shoes for your foot. It takes a little bit of time, but the shoes aren't any more expensive and you know that you have a good pair. Also, I read that shoes should be replaced every 500 miles. FYI.

Jenny said...

Hey Lydia,
I got the same weird groin pull during my little 5k, because I was trying to keep pace with someone much faster than I was and wasn't taking my normal strides. Maybe you were running faster because of endorphins or something...a 10 min. mile? Whew!
That's all I can think it might be.

Candace said...

I am so impressed! I have seen you running past my house but never realized how far you have been running. Keep it up! If you ever want to walk instead of run just call.